B.A.P Interview for Hallyu Pier | December 2012



Yongguk : YG Himchan : HC Daehyun : DH Youngjae : YJ Jongup : JU Zelo : JH
The wonderful encorporation of various elements in “NO MERCY”
1. This time is the third time. After 6 months, BAP is back with No Mercy. No Mercy is a track that includes various elements and embodies rap, hiphop and traditional music etc.
DH : Among all the albums we released so far, this album is the one that showcases all of our different personality and flavours. This song and it’s performance has let me realise how much I grown in terms of confidence.
2. Since you wrote the lyrics for this song, what kind of thoughts did you put into the lyrics
YG : After we debuted with warrior, even if it is only a little, we feel the burden of catching up to music trends. As we wanted to showcase the trend of “trendy boys”, I presented this through the lyrics. Our song might come off as rude because of the hiphop element, but I think that that’s the beauty of hiphop.
3. The use of dialect in the rap has become a hot topic.
JH : The pronounciation of dialect rap is like English rap, it’s easy. The concept of using dialect rap has also become our unique trait and it’s fresh. I come from Mokpo, so I’m happy that I can rap my dialect in songs. [Laughs.]
4. Is it Himchan’s idea to use traditional instruments in this song?
HC : Yes, since I’ve learned it from young. I called up my friend to arrange for some of the students from National Korean Traditional Music High School and they agreed to perform in our live stages. [Laughs.] To be performing on the same stage as the students, I feel very elated. My friends thought it was weird to include traditional music in our song but actually liked the song after they heard it.
From Warriors to Loving Boys!
5. It gave us a shock that BAP transformed from the “manly” image to “cute boys in love” image.
YG : To me, this cute style is really Daebak Sageon. I protested in the start but I took it as a challenge and I was suprised and happy with the results. [Laughs.]
DH : If we release songs that have the same style all the time, I’ll be unwilling to do it. We want fans to see the different images and styles of BAP, so we want to challenge new things all the time.


Yongguk : YG Himchan : HC Daehyun : DH Youngjae : YJ Jongup : JU Zelo : JH
6. This is a song about being in love. Is this based off Yongguk’s experience?
YG : Hahaha. [Laughs.] It’s imaginary. When I see girls, I feel nervous rather than feeling my heart flutter. (*) If I meet someone I like, I will write lyrics according to what I feel at that point of time.
7. BAP was asked “Which member are you most willing to accept as your sister’s boyfriend?”. Almost all the members answered Zelo. The reason was they would accept their sister’s choice no matter what it is. [Laughs.] What is Zelo’s heartwarming love story?
JH : There’s a lot! [BAP bursts out laughing.] I’m just kidding~. [Laughs.] When I was young, I had a few relationship. Everyone has them too right? Recently? Hmm, it’s a secret. [Laughs.]
8. Just like “Daebak Sageon”, which member would be the one that would fall in love at first sight first?
HC : Daehyun!
JH : It’s Himchan Hyung~.
[Zelo’s answer left Himchan in deep thoughts]
YG : Ahh~ [after thinking] I guess, Daehyun?
DH : I’m still inexperienced, so I’ll be preparing for that feeling of being in love where it’s like a electrocution. (**)
9. In BAP’s latest single, “Hajima” is also a cute track. Why did Yongguk grow a tail in the MV?
YG : I was knocked down by Daehyun’s car and because I’m evil so I turned into a devil. So that tail is a devil’s tail.
10. Did you disappear after the girl squeezed your tail?
YG : After I turned into a devil, I followed the girl around because I fell in love with her. She is actually an angel. Since I was unable to go to heaven because I am a devil, she saved my life by squeezing my tail. That’s the overall meaning. (***)
11. What are your thought on penning the lyrics for this song?
YG : When I wrote this song’s rap, I included words and rhythm from the 90’s. Because of this, I listened to many songs from the 90’s hiphop to inspire myself. I also included 90’s rhythm in Zelo’s rap.
4000 Babyz attending First Babyz Day showcase
12. On the 27th of October, BAP held a 4000 audience concert for Babyz and performed a total of 15 tracks!
DH : This is the biggest audience we have ever performed to since debut. We felt really proud and touched to see the Matoki lightsticks held and waved by our Babyz when we were standing and performing on stage. Furthermore, it was raining heavily and it was very cold. We were worried for the safety of our Babyz and also Babyz coming from overseas. We wanted them to arrive safely.

(*) There’s no actual english translation. 
(**) He compared falling in love to being electrocuted (idk man daehyun why) (***) I couldn’t translate squeezing more accurately (it sounds weird i know)


Yongguk : YG Himchan : HC Daehyun : DH Youngjae : YJ Jongup : JU Zelo : JH
HC : To make Babyz our official fanclub name is our dream. We were very happy. When we were on music shows, it was difficult to know how many actual Babyz we had. At the First Babyz Day, we realised and we are touched and grateful. There are so many Babyz that come from places far and wide, we are really thankful. We will continue to work hard for our Babyz.
13. During First Babyz Day, what did you do well and what did you have to reflect upon?
HC : To have a solo live stage is the best thing. However due to being nervous, I couldn’t perfectly showcase my solo performance properly. I promise from today onwards, to show Babyz a better performance!
DH : Yes! It’s my solo stage. I was so nervous~. I regret that due to my nerves, I couldn’t bring out the best in myself and I lost the opportunity to show Babyz my talent perfectly.
14. It wasn’t obvious that you were nervous!
DH : Actually, my hand was shaking real badly. [Laughs.]
JU : To perform as a group meant alot to me. Under Babyz’s encouragement, I feel that my passion for music has really showed itself.
15. What’s your most memorable impression of the showcase?
JH : I performed the remixed version of “Never Give Up” with Yongguk hyung. While performing the song, I thought of the meaning behind the lyrics again.
JU : I remember that during Himchan’s solo stage where he danced Gangnam Style, everyone was dancing along with him!
16. Everyone danced nicely!
JU : We participated in Himchan hyung’s practice many times. He really practiced very hard for his stage. [Laughs.]
17. If BAP gets the rookie award, is Yongguk going to take off his shirt and show Babyz his abs?
All : Uwahhhh~~!!
18. Show us your abs for the magazine shoot!
All : OooooH~!!
YG : Buy me steak in exchange!
-Editor’s comment : Sure, the cheap steak! Keke.-
10 months since debut. Fulfilled dreams due to Babyz’s encouragement.
19. It has been 10 months since debut. What is a real “Daebak Sageon” to you?
HC : To be able to debut is already a “Daebak Sageon”. We trained for a long time and were often worried if we could debut as a group.
YJ : As long as we can perform on a stage, we would feel happy. To have the chance to stand on stage and perform is really the best feeling in the world.
20. What was the most memorable thing you received in these 10 months?
YJ : Babyz. Because of them, we got to experience what we have experienced. We also got to fulfil our dreams of performing. It’s really a blessing.
21. BAP is considered the most active rookie that debuted this year. Did you predict that this would happen?
YG : One year before debut, we planned everything out and have already planned to promote actively throughout the year.
22. Before you debut, have you ever thought that BAP would gain so much popularity? Do you know that BAP is in the hot seat for the rookie award?
All : Yeah~!!!
YJ : We are really thankful that people paid attention to us and we hope to let more people know about us. To be able to receive the rookie award is what we have been aiming for since our debut and we really want this dream to come true.
23. Recently, there are rookies debuting that are younger than Zelo. After this year, BAP will no longer be considered rookies. What kind of goals will BAP set to achieve under more pressure?
YG : The goal we had when we debuted is different from the goal we have now. Our dreams have become bigger. As time passes, dreams get bigger. From now onwards, we are going to put in effort to achieve our goals.
24. As a conclusion?
YG : PSY sunbaenim’s “Gangnam Style” has managed to achieve #2 on Billboard’s 100. We feel that that has affected the kpop music industry greatly. All we want to achieve is to someday end up on Billboard 100 just like PSY sunbaenim.

No comments:

Post a Comment